Looking for a 5-day workout routine for beginners like you? Try these training plans that can help improve your fitness, conditioning, and muscle strength.
If you’re new to the gym and don't know where to begin, here is some help to get you started. We've compiled a list of beginner-friendly gym workouts that may be completed in five days or less.
Check out the beginner workout routines below for some motivation, whether you're looking to improve your general strength, target specific muscle parts, or improve your aerobic fitness.
Beginner Gym Workout Plan
As a beginner, you should keep your workouts simple. You also have to be consistent with your workout routine. Here are a few pointers to make your new training regimen more effective:
- Be mindful of your physical and health conditions. Always consult a doctor first for professional advice before starting any exercise routine.
Plan your workout
- If you want to lose weight, do cardio after you lift weights, not before; or do it at different times throughout the day.
- You can also ask for advice from your trainer or gym coach.
- Consider taking appropriate supplements in consultation with your doctor. Doing so could boost your energy and help you burn more fat while doing your workout. This Centrapeak review, for example, shows that some supplements could also be suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
Keep yourself hydrated
- During your workout, drink plenty of water.
Eat a well-balanced diet
- Have a small, balanced lunch with equal portions of lean protein such as lean chicken, beef, or fish, and complex carbohydrates such as oats and rice, at least 30 minutes before each workout.
- A large meal is not necessary; just enough protein and carbohydrates to refuel and stimulate bodily repair.
Keep track of your progress
- Keep track of your progress.
- You may also take progress pictures, keep track of weight loss or increase, and measure all of your body parts once you're on your path to being super fit.
5-Day Workout Routine
This 5-day strength training plan allows you to focus on certain exercises each day, effectively targeting all of your weaknesses.
On your first day, you can work on your chest and triceps (light). On your second day, do your back and (light) biceps. Day 3 consists of the following exercises: core, forearms, calves, and cardio. On your fourth day, work on your shoulders and triceps (heavy). Day 5 focuses on your legs and (heavy) biceps. Take a rest on your 6th day, or you can do a light core workout.
Workout Routines for Beginners
Chest and Triceps
- Bench – 5 sets (5 reps)
- Low Cable Cross – 3 sets (15 reps)
- Dumbbell Bench (Incline) – 3 sets (12 reps)
- Pec Dec – 3 sets (20 sets)
- Close Grip Bench – 2 sets (as many as possible)
- Skull Crushers – 2 sets (as many as possible)
Back and Triceps
- Seated Cable Rows – 2 sets (10 reps)
- Front Lat Pulldown – 2 sets (10 reps)
- Bent Over Barbell Rows – 2 sets (10 reps)
- Hammer Curls – 3 sets (12 reps)
- Deadlift – 2 sets (10 reps)
- Barbell Curl – 3 sets (10 reps)
- Straight-Arm Pulldown – 2 sets (10 reps)
- Concentration Curls – 3 sets (12 reps)
Core, Calves, and Cardio
- Crunches – 3 sets (12 reps)
- Hanging Leg Raise – 3 sets (12 reps)
- Seated Russian Twist – 2 sets (15 reps)
- Bicycle Crunches – 15 to 20 sets (as many as possible)
- Planks – 3 sets (as long as possible)
- Palms-Up barbell Wrist Curl – 3 sets (add 2.5 weight after each set)
- Seated Calf Raise – 3 sets (18 reps)
- Palm-Down Barbell Wrist Curls Over Bench – 3 sets (add 2.5 weight after each set)
- Smith Machine Calf raises – 3 sets (15 reps)
- Cardio Workout – 25 minutes before and after
Shoulders, and Triceps
- Seated Barbell Overhead Press – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Military Press – 4 sets (10 reps)
- Shrugs – 3 sets (10 reps)
- Dips – 4 sets (10 reps)
- Side Lateral Raise – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Standing Dumbbell Triceps Extension – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Front Lateral Raise – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Triceps Pushdown – 4 sets (12 reps) Rope Attachment
- Reverse Fly – 4 sets (12 reps)
Legs and Biceps
- Squats – 4 sets (8 reps)
- Leg Press – 3 sets (10 reps)
- Spider Curl – 4 sets (10 reps)
- Wide Grip Standing barbell Curl – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Smith Machine Calf Raise – 4 sets (12 reps)
- Lying Leg Curl – 3 sets (12 reps)
If you have a prior leg injury, you can skip this set.
If you stick to the routine for the full 12 weeks, you'll see amazing results. Always maintain proper form and refrain from developing poor habits that can slow down your progress.
Beginner Cardio Workout Plan
Exercises that develop cardiovascular endurance, often known as cardio workouts, should be included in your starting workout regimen. A beginner's cardio workout might be as simple as taking a brisk walk or jumping rope for a few minutes.
Use the FITT (frequency, intensity, time, and type) technique to plan your cardio program. To stay motivated and achieve the optimum cardiovascular endurance outcomes, switch up your routine every week or two.
Here's all you need to know about creating a well-rounded beginner cardio workout plan.
Shorter Cardio Workouts with High Intensity
High-intensity cardio workouts help you develop a type of cardiovascular endurance that will help you enhance your overall fitness and your capacity to sprint up a flight of stairs.
Burpees, jumping rope, stair climbing, and jumping jacks are all high-intensity exercises that may be customized to fit your fitness level.
Because high-intensity exercises greatly increase your heart rate, you should only do them for a few minutes at a time. Several times a week, try introducing five to 10 minutes of high-intensity activity into your routines.
Perform this type of workout at a high intensity two to four times a week. For 5–15 minutes, do burpees, box jumps, sprinting, jumping rope, and jumping jacks.
Longer Cardio Workouts at a Low Intensity
Low-intensity cardio workouts are ideal for beginners who are hesitant to work up a sweat every time they go to the gym. Walking and stationary cycling are low-impact exercises that are accessible to first-time gym members.
Longer, low-intensity cardio sessions are a terrific way to get into a steady fitness regimen and are frequently a suitable stepping-stone to higher-intensity workouts later in your health journey. A beginner's fitness workout might include at least one (but no more than three) low-intensity, lengthy cardio workout per week.
Aim to accomplish this type of low-intensity workout one to three times each week. For 40–90 minutes, try walking, stationary cycling, elliptical training, or steady rowing.
Beginner CrossFit Workout Plan
What exactly is CrossFit? CrossFit is a way of life that emphasizes safe, effective exercise and proper nutrition. CrossFit can be used to achieve any goal, including greater health, weight loss, and better performance.
CrossFit workouts and activities have a more specific muscle-stimulant focus, involving more heavy lifting and anaerobic training. Everyone can benefit from the program, including beginners and those who have been training for years.
Here are two CrossFit Workouts to get you started, although there are many more workout routines to pick from.
- DT is one of the most basic CrossFit routines. Using a variety of explosive motions that are excellent for increasing muscle and power.
- To complete this DT workout plan you have to do 12 reps of deadlifts, 9 reps of hang power clean, and 6 reps of Push Jerks for 5 rounds.
- Fran's training program focuses on speed through a variety of complex motions that target all the main muscle groups in a full-body workout. To complete this workout, you have to complete this set of workout routines as fast as you can.
- The routine consists of 21 reps of thrusters, 21 reps of pull-ups, 15 reps of thrusters, 15 reps of pull-ups, 9 reps of thrusters, and 9 reps of pull-ups.
As a beginner, it's vital to concentrate on developing your form and technique while lifting. Starting with isolation techniques that work only one muscle region at a time won't provide the best results if you've never been to a gym or haven't visited in a long time.
It's also essential for recovery. So, depending on your goals, two days of strength training and two days of aerobic conditioning, with a day off in between each strength day, would be ideal. We want to put the body to the test and allow it to adjust to the workout stress. I hope this five-day workout routine for beginners will help you start your journey right.